Making a Difference

Grace - Sugarland, Texas

It looks like a beautiful summer morning when I wake up. I take my time getting up. Today I want to stay home and download new songs on my ipod. I want to go swimming when it gets hot. I want to go to the local tennis courts to work on my serves or hang out at the mall with friends. I want to watch TV or go on my PC and surf the web.

Mom shouts for me to wake up already. I roll out of bed, throw some clothes on, and turn my bedside radio up. Then my sister comes upstairs and tells me that Mom wants us to get dressed in some nice clothes. I go find Mom and complain. “I want to play tennis and chill today,” I tell her. Mom wants to take us to some center where my church’s youth-group volunteered to help pass out gift-boxes to children less fortunate and/or with special illnesses. Last week during Sunday School we put together and wrapped many items like pencils, books, lollipops, toys, etc. They do this every year, but I never went because I always thought it would be boring. Mom insists though, so I get dressed and off we go.

We get to the place and I think this will be silly. Many people have already arrived. My mom and sister help serve food while I get stuck passing out gift-boxes. I give one to a little boy in a wheelchair. He lights up with joy and immediately starts tearing the wrapping paper off. I think it must be horrible to not go anywhere you want or even walk.

Next, I give a gift-box to a funny looking girl also in a wheelchair with pale skin and tubes all over. Her mom feds her some disgusting

looking liquid. I felt so sorry for her. It would be so uncomfortable to sit

there, unable to eat/do anything you want.

Later, I meet a girl about my age that was blind and deaf. I give her mom a gift-box who opens it for her. The girl excitedly jumps around clapping her hands and making a lot of noise. She opens her arms for a hug, so I hug her back. Her mom thanks me over and over again genuinely with thankfulness I have never seen before.

I get back to my youth-group leader after passing out a few more gift-boxes. A wave of understanding passes over me. I realize I shouldn’t take for granted that I’m very healthy and aren’t in the same position as these kids. Helping out these kids really made my day. Now whenever my church volunteers somewhere, I always go help out. I miss having more time to chill with friends and hang around at home, but I feel much better helping these kids out and making a difference in their lives, which are far worse than mine.