Dealing with Death

John - Sugarland, Texas
Themes: death

In our every day world, we see death all around us and how it affects people. Today I find myself blessed to say that I don’t know death as those unfortunate people do. I did know a few deceased; however their deaths didn’t really affect me emotionally. Although I don’t know those feelings, I can’t help but sympathize for my cousins.

On December 10th of 2007, their friend Kade fell victim to an atv accident. However, Dale and Sarah felt much more of an emotional loss than the small town of Lake Jackson that day.

Sarah, in a relationship with Kade at the time, became devastated by the tragedy. You could never compare their relationship to one of those “oh let’s go out meaninglessly for a day” kind of relationships you see common among middle school children either. From what I could tell, Sarah really liked Kade. They constantly talked over the phone and after the accident Sarah became greatly distressed. Even today she doesn’t act as silly or easy going as she used to.

On the flipside, Dale, devastated by the tragedy, became so broken down by the incident that he took several weeks off from school to recollect himself. Even today he experiences many difficulties. Although Dale never came out and admitted it, I believe he blames himself for Kade’s passing on. See, Kade wasn’t riding alone; Dale was actually the one behind the wheel. Now I don’t know all the details, but somehow the atv flipped over. After being flung off the atv, Dale came out with minor injury overall. Sadly, the atv crushed Kade with great force.

Beyond that information I know nothing more of the manner. On the contrary I see how this affected Dale. Before he acted fearless and somewhat rash; I remember at a younger age he wanted to be just like “the crocodile hunter guy.” Now he acts more alert and conscious of what he says and does. Overall, he greatly matured despite the loss it took, which is why I believe that death can bring about better character in people; along with them closer to the people they love.