The Bigger Person

Kelly - Sugar Land, Texas

I would honestly love to know how some kids cope with their parents being divorced. It doesn’t make me sad or anything, but it’s very confusing. I live with my Mom, My stepdad, and my autistic brother, Michael. But on the other side of the United States lives my Father and Stepmom. They have no kids, no pets, and only my dad works. Sound interesting? Well they aren’t. I have to go there for 2 (or possibly more) weeks a year. That doesn’t sound bad, but those weeks drag on as if i was watching grass grow.

Well its summer, and that means I have to take my yearly trip over to Florida to see my father. Now I personally hold a grudge against him. When my mom and he got divorced, he wanted nothing to do with my brother and I. No Custody or anything. Yet my mom sends us to him every single summer. Now since he has no kids, he doesn’t have much of a clue of what to do with us, especially my brother, who cannot do much on his own, due to his autism. My dad doesn’t know how to take care of an autistic child, so this is far from a vacation. It’s more like babysitting.

This trip wouldn’t be so irritating if my dad didn’t question every move I make. If I’m putting my brother to bed, he’ll say I’m doing something wrong. I’m apparently always doing something wrong. I would love to find out when his experience with kids suddenly came in. Now my dad’s opinion of me is the one who will be up in my bedroom all day instead of watching some foreign game show or “Little House on the Prairie” with him. No exaggeration. He is one of those people who never wants to leave the house. I honestly don’t know how people can live like that. My mom always would tell me “Make the best of a bad situation,” well my best is avoiding the source of the problem, just like he does to me.

Now that I’m 14, I have the choice to whether I want to see my dad during the summer now. As much as I don’t want to, I kind of have to. Not in the ‘being forced to’ way, but the ‘it’s the right thing to do’ way. As little as he acts like it, he still is my dad. I wish I didn’t have to choose. No matter how much I dread going there. I have the “be the bigger person” quote beating down on me. Even though he doesn’t act like a father, I need to act like a daughter. Therefore This I believe: Being the bigger person is never easy, but that doesn’t mean that it isnt right.