The Power of Education

Kara - Redondo Beach, California

Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve loved learning new things whether it was through school or just one of life’s many lessons that were thrown at me. That aspect of me has carried on throughout my life. I never could quite understand why so many adolescents are wasting their lives by becoming so completely masochistic and self destructive. They take most things for granted, especially the simple gift of education. I believe that the knowledge and learning that comes out of an education is one of the most important things in a person’s life.

Education is very useful to society in many ways; without it we would be moving backwards rather than forwards. Education is needed in the justice system, helping to solve murders and find criminals. People use the skills they got from their education to help maintain a proper economy. It’s used to teach kids and help them develop. Our education is needed for the development of health care as well. We get educated on our past to learn from our mistakes. People usually don’t realize that the knowledge we acquire from our education is used all the time whether it’s a child learning to spell, or a scientist working to find a cure for AIDS. Education is a vital ingredient in everyday life.

There are so many people in third-world countries who would give anything to get the kind of education that we get. Some places in the world aren’t able to get sufficient schooling which results in more primitive lifestyles rather than those who have an opportunity to learn. When they finally do get that opportunity, they cherish it like it was the most important thing in the world. They can see the value in learning. In America, our lifestyles have become completely sedentary, always trying to find the quickest and easiest way to do things. Most people have become lazy, and too many people take their education for granted; they don’t know how lucky they are.

Sure, knowledge can be bittersweet. Put knowledge in the hands of the wrong people and bad things can come out of it (such as nuclear arms and war). But, I believe that people would be much worse off without knowledge and education. Learning helps the function and development of your brain. Your mind has been called your body’s “computer”, and everyone knows that the faster the computer, the better. Everybody wants to live a successful and fulfilling life, and that can be achieved through education. The more schooling you get, the higher your income will be. Your dreams of living a happy, worry-free life can become a reality.

In my opinion, education is much more important than all the things teens may think are important, and should be valued by everybody. There is a reason we go to school. Its not there for us to just have somewhere to go, it’s actually an opportunity for us to grow, and be more successful in our lives. Education has come too far for people to waste it the way a lot of them do. Knowledge helps find cures to diseases, protects us from past mistakes, makes life easier, and can benefit mankind in many other ways. And it is for these reasons that I believe in being educated.