I Believe in Maturity

Alessandra - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: change, children

I believe that it takes something so traumatic, so foreign, and above all, so immensely detrimental, for a person to fully mature. Last year, I stared college, lost my grandfather to heart disease, and broke up with my boyfriend, amongst other things, all in the same month. My mind was constantly elsewhere, causing me to do poorly in school. I stayed in bed all day, for the most part, and slowly began to not care about my work. I soon realized that I had to kick myself into gear and start making choices that would benefit me in the long run. It was then that I realized I needed to grow up, and grow up fast.

I truly believe that teens need the incentive to grow. Without experiences such as college and jobs, teenagers would just sit on their parents couch all day and watch television. They wouldn’t be capable of making adult decisions, and they’d forever be a child at mind.

Maturity is something everyone needs to go through, but some people get stuck. They find that there’s noting important about growing up, when really there is. Sometimes, people need an extra push from something outside their control, like the death or illness of a family member. Only then will a person be forced to abandon their child-like mindset and adopt a more adult way of seeing things.