Fears of the Future

Kristina - Portland, Maine
Themes: carpe diem

The future is always a scary prospect to consider. A lot of people, like my parents, are always busy, always moving quickly from one task to the next. Sometimes they forget to take time to enjoy the present without worrying what’s coming in the future. I believe in living in the moment and making sure to savor each moment of my life.

Many summers have passed me by rapidly. It seems that as soon as I get out of school for those warm, sunny months, it’s time to go back almost instantly. Three summers ago, my mom came to me with a terrific surprise. She had purchased tickets to the Kelly Clarkson concert that was coming to our local arena. For weeks I had relentlessly pestered her to take me, and my hard work had finally paid off. A week later, I could feel the energy coursing through my veins on the day of the concert. The events that I experienced that day, though fun, sped by at what seemed like the speed of light. Looking back on that wonderful day, I realize that I wish I had taken the time to enjoy every moment of it. That way, I would have remembered more about the concert and the day as a whole.

After I realized that I should have taken time to enjoy that concert, one would think that I would remember to take time to enjoy the rest of events that will come into my life but I don’t. Every once in a while, different relatives come to visit us, like my Nana who drives down from northern Maine. These visits are few and far in between, and they don’t always last too long. Every time that my dad tells me that my Nana is coming, eagerness always flows through my body. When she finally arrives though, spending quality time with her always seems to be the last thing on my mind. It’s not that I don’t talk to her, or visit with her, it’s just that I’m usually preoccupied with schoolwork or chores. Once she’s gone, I realize that I’m not going to be able to see her forever, and at some point in my life, those visits will stop. Knowing this makes me see that I need to make the most of every moment that I have spent with relatives, young and old, worthwhile.

Not only is spending quality time with relatives important, but taking the time to hang out with friends is important as well. I have tons of friends, ones that I met early on in my life, and the ones that I met along the way. This year, we have what some people think is an amazing opportunity. In our city, we have three public high schools and three private high schools that we could possibly attend. The decision to choose between schools is easy for some, and taxing for others, but for everyone it’s difficult to see your friends travel different roads. This year, everyone is beginning to have revelations, suddenly learning that the time we spend hanging out together now should be time that we will remember for years to come. These are some of the last times we will spend together, and instead of worrying about what will come in the future, we should make the most of it.

Every time I choose to make the most of the important moments in my life, I feel elated because I know that I got the most I could possibly get out of those experiences. When many people, all over the world, have to entertain visiting relatives, every nerve in their body becomes purely agitated because they don’t know what to do with them. Those same people should feel cheerful instead because they will get to spend quality time with their visitors. With this creed, I can tell when I look into the future, my life will be an exciting one, filled with fulfilling times ahead.