Open the Door

Kennedy - Holton, Kansas
Themes: work

“Knock, Knock” You might not believe what I am telling you but you hear that every single day in your life. It might not sound exactly like that, but trust me it happens to you every day. The two choices you have are to either open the door or just ignore it. You see, I like to look at life as a series of doors of opportunity and inside those doors are more doors. I believe you must choose the right doors in your life to take you down the right hallway.

There have been many doors in my life, some that I have opened and some that are wise not to open. Some major doors in my life are standing up for what I think is right, facing my fears, and overcoming challenges. Here’s an example in my life about facing fears.

I didn’t learn how to dive until I was 14. I was always so scared that I was going to get hurt that I didn’t even want to try. Finally after 14 years of not knowing how to dive somebody came to my rescue, I guess you could say. It was my best friend who helped me learn. We had a local swimming pool in our town but I was too embarrassed to try to learn there in front of everyone, so he taught me at our pond. The first day I didn’t want to try anymore cause I had done about ten straight belly flops. I was hurting so bad and I had water in my nose, I never wanted to swim again, but my friend didn’t take no for an answer; he would say, “just watch what I do”. He made it look so easy, but it was far from easy for me. Finally the day came. It had been two weeks since he started teaching me and I didn’t want to try anymore, but I thought in my head how fun it would be to dive. So that day I went all out, relaxed, tucked all of my fears away, and did it. I was so happy I nearly ran across the water to high five my buddy. That was one of the happiest days of my life, and it all happened because I risked opening a door and taking a chance.

Still to this day there are many doors in my path and will always be decisions to choose from in my life. There will always be people for me to stand up to, fears to face, and challenges to overcome. The only thing I need to do is find the key in my heart, then I will be able to say, “I won”. This I believe.