Communication is everything

Cody - Holton, Kansas

Every day of the week you communicate with someone or another. In my life I have to communicate extra well since my parents are not together. I live mostly with my mom during the week and Sunday, which leaves Friday and Saturday for my dad. Well as a teenage boy you want to hang out with the guys and girls to. Which is pretty hard to do when you have a dad like mine.

Trying to hang with the guys and girls didn’t always sit with my dad very well because he thought that if it was Friday or Saturday that I needed to be with him. Well this is where the communication part came in to play. I used to just wait till Thursday or Friday to check in with him, this was my mistake in communication. I learned in time that the sooner I let him know what I was planning on doing the more likely he would be willing to let me go.

I then tried giving him a little more heads up during the week such as Tuesday or Wednesday and then he started to let me to do more stuff on his time. Now when I’m with my mom for most of the week and say I want to go hang out with the guys or go do something after school, she usually doesn’t care as long as I call or text her as soon as school is over and just let her know what I have going on.

I am the youngest out of four kids and I recently learned that when my mom was still with my dad that she only got to see the other three kids once a month and she learned just to communicate with them and was happy when they came up just to visit that one time a month. When I was told that, that made me think of how I am so much alike the other kids except I get to see my dad a lot more. I believe that communication is everything.