My Slap across the Face

Dania - Sugar Land, Texas
Themes: family, setbacks

You know that sharp feeling you get in the pit of your stomach, and immediately shoots through your throat, when you begin to cry. I personally have been a victim to that pathetic feeling, and I assure you, it is a thousand times worse when you are drenched in blood. During that moment something felt different about me. My heart didn’t pound out of my chest, it barely moved. I yearned for the emotion of bravery at that moment, but every time bravery started to creep up from within me, my mothers cry broke me back down, and fear attacked once again. Questions of God, the will of human, and family tortured me, as I waited to hear about my brother’s surgery. At that point I was my own worst enemy.

“The Renaissance festival, you have got to be kidding me!” I said to my mother.

“You have to go your cousin invited you.”

“Fine, but I hope you know I will try my best not to enjoy myself.”

My mom, dad, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, and I, cramped in mom’s blue Honda Minivan, how on earth could that possibly be fun? The drive up there tool long, excruciatingly long. Eventually we arrived, and the entire place smelled like turkey legs.

I felt like Charles Dickens, in a Dr. Seuss book. Mutton her, swords there, bows and arrows everywhere. The people wore strange clothes; we even spotted someone in a robot costume. Weird, I know.

We went deeper in, and we tried food, which didn’t go so bad! I even carried a snake, we saw some belly dancers, and my little cousin even bought a bow and arrow set. The all around trip, ended successfully. My cousin and I were having so much fun we decided to have a sleepover.

As soon as we got home my cousin and sister took the bow and arrow upstairs to show my older brother, Imad. He shot it around a little.

“Hey shoot at my stomach,” Imad hollered, to my older sister.

“I don’t know what you’re thinking, but all I know is that you are out of your mind.

“Come on it’s just a toy, just do it”

I simply sat on the couch, not really paying any attention to my brothers and sister; I was too busy listening to my new coldplay C.D. They, on the other hand continued.

“Just freaking shoot it already!”

Before I knew it, I being more scared than ever before, walked my brother down the stairs, blood bulging out of his right eye. I did the best I could to wipe the blood from his face, knowing that the blood refused to stop falling, but I had to do something. There wasn’t enough room in the car for all of us to fit, so I found myself glued to the couch, with phone in hand all night. I had never felt so close to my family.