Inopportune Moments

Hunter - Glen Allen, Virginia

I believe that enjoyment in life can be found at the most odd and inopportune times. I often find myself floating through life, oblivious to the beauty that is all around me. Large gaps of my life will pass me by as if they never happened. They simply become forgotten due to their seemingly uneventful, and therefore unimportant, nature. But on occasion, momentary lapses in this routine stricken life cause me to snap back to reality and realize just how odd and entertaining life can be. Take my last weekend for example, where a playful wrestling match took some interesting turns.

The events leading up to this late night, prove-your-manliness wrestling match, were typical of any weekend night found on a college campus. But what makes this friendly wrestling match unique is not that it went awry, nor is it that it went awry twice. It is instead the manner in which it went awry for the second time around. The wrestling match was all in good spirit until an illegal move was preformed prompting a scuffle that involved drunken fists flying every which-way. The fight was broken up and the two participants quickly realized their folly and began apologizing profusely to each other. It was then that true hilarity began to ensue because as the two spoke, their kind apologies soon became a battle over who was sorrier and more fighting sparked up over the matter. But not all of the moments in life where I find true enjoyment are facilitated by a drunken stupor.

One summer during high school I lived with my father in Duck, North Carolina, where I worked at a nut store known as “Try My Nuts Nut Company.” Old folk, and old ladies in particular, where known to frequent the row of shops where the one I worked at was located. One auspicious day a gaggle of particularly cheery looking old ladies came into the store. After meandering around the store aimlessly, like old people always appear to be doing, I noticed that a couple of them had come to rest at the counter in front of me. I asked the whole of them if they needed any help, to which one particularly mesmerized old lady replied, “No thank you, I’m just looking at your nuts.” This surprisingly common response elicited hysterical laughter from one of her fellow grey-haired shoppers who then attempted to explain the irony of the statement to her and the others. As they left, just as awkwardly as they came, I was convinced they still did not see what was so funny.

It is easy to go through life oblivious to the humor that surrounds you. The key is to find humor in everything and to seek out happiness and enjoyment in your life. At times the humor is unavoidable and you cannot help but sit back and laugh. So when you do come across a truly hilarious situation, relish in it, because they are few and far between.