Accepting the Obvious

Michelle - Sugar Land, Texas
Themes: love

Since my age allowed me to realize what my parents have cared and done for me, I always wondered why they provide me a lovely home, satisfying meals, and all other necessities for me every day. Are my parents obligated to love and care for me? I believe there had to be something more behind the reason of their caring acts.

I always ask myself questions whenever the topic of my parents’ caretaking came to mind. I thought that it couldn’t be that easy to love and care for someone who was just another member of the family. At times, I looked at the situation like a camera that didn’t include the batteries or film. The new camera represents my parents since they started out loving and caring for one another to prevent their relationship from falling apart. Of course, the camera needs batteries and film to function to its full potential. The batteries and film represent my brother and I since we came along in my parents’ lives. Performing our individual roles as a family, the abundance of happiness in my life has flourished because my life seems to run smoothly every day. At the same time, I felt confused because I didn’t understand the true meaning of family love. Every day my parents managed to lay meals on the table, provide me with nice clothes, and shelter me from the summer heat and cold winters. As I continued to ponder my inquisitions, I found the confusion only leading to nothing but frustration. The matter perplexed me like a riddle as I tried to avoid any obvious answers. But what if in this case, the answer had always been right in front of me? I refuse to accept the obvious. I thought long and hard about my life and realized that my parents had always supported me through thick and thin. Before I thought any deeper, the answer to my complex question became crystal clear.

All this time, my parents had simply loved me. The fact that they chose to love me unconditionally overwhelmed my heart with loving and tender emotion. I view love as a responsibility with a sense of volition and emotion behind it. I finally understood the true meaning of the family love. We dearly love one another and stand strong together to overcome many obstacles in life. In comparison to the function of the camera, the batteries and film work in sync with the main electronic components to perform its most sincere purpose in life. As the camera works properly, it captures unforgettable pictures that create memories that last for eternity. As long as love prevails in our lives, nothing could ever bring us down because love is truly the movement.