My Grandma

Parsva - sugarland, Texas
Themes: family, illness

One difficult experience that changed my life was when I found out my grandmother who had lived with me since the day I was born had cancer. When I found out my grandmother had cancer, I was devastated and didn’t know what to think. These moments are embedded in me forever and knowing that my very own grandmother had cancer, and that’s what took her away from me, had really changed my life.

On August 10, 1995, I formed a bond with Kanta Raman Patel, also known as my grandmother. From my birth until the age of nine this wonderful and precious lady raised me. I have shared so many memories and wonderful times with her. My grandmother through my eyes was an angel, an idol, my well-wisher, my everything. My grandmother was like a super nanny. She cooked, cleaned, took care of the kids and yet she still brought out the best of her life. Over the years of my childhood, our relationship grew stronger and stronger. She was my encouragement; my guide through life. We told each other everything, and helped each other when we needed it.

One day I found out my grandmother had cancer which had a big impact on my life as well as my family’s life. My grandmother would have to go to the hospital every two weeks for chemotherapy. As time passed the side effects of chemotherapy kicked in. she had lost so much weight and I could see it, she started losing a lot of hair too. She didn’t feel like eating anything! She threw-up almost everything she ate. Looking at the condition my grandma was in, the doctor had to admit her into the hospital. I would go and sit with her so she would take her mind off things. Even after all the chemotherapy, my grandmother’s body could not handle the cancer since it was at its last stage. On January 9, 2005 about 12:20 am she passed away.

Her death made everybody’s job around the house and everything else harder. My mom had to come home earlier from work to cook and prepare dinner. My dad had to do the laundry. My sister had to pick my brother up from school. I had to start walking home from school by myself while making sure everything I needed.

As I look back, I miss my grandmother terribly. But when I look at all she suffered from chemotherapy to her last days of life, I thank god not making her suffer anymore then she already had. She changed my life because I had never experienced a loved one having cancer or passing away. And she was such a great thing that I lost in my life. This is how a difficult situation changed my life.