A Single Metaphor

Remy - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: question

I believe that Americans are afraid to admit that there are still some unknowns in our world, and that not everything we have been told is the truth. Not only do I believe that Bigfoot exists, but I believe that if we can become tolerant of the idea that another species exists, then we have the potential to change how the world accepts new ideas. I believe that Bigfoot is more than an unfound species; I believe that Bigfoot represents our ability to believe in abstract ideas. If more people could accept an idea that they know little about, the world would be a better place. If more people could accept that Bigfoot exists, maybe they would have an easier time believing that other people’s religions and beliefs can be legitimate too. You don’t always have to have physical evidence to believe in something, and sometimes it is better to not know everything. I see Bigfoot as a living metaphor for tolerance and acceptance. Just as people have a hard time accepting a religion that they know nothing about, people just can’t seem to accept a creature they know nothing about

I believe that people have stopped accepting ideas based on personal reasoning, and have let science and the media forge their beliefs. When did it become a rule that something had to have a two-hour special on the National Geographic channel before people believed it? I believe those people who trust themselves enough to disregard what others say, and are confident that Bigfoot exists. These are the people who do not need physical evidence for everything in life. Those people who can believe in something they cannot see are the people who will get more out of life than what they can touch.

Look at the wars that are being fought everyday. For the most part, these wars are being fought because of conflicting beliefs of some sort. If people would stop being so egocentric and ethnocentric, and start seeing the world from a different perspective, then both sides may be able to see each other’s beliefs in a new light. The truth is that this mindset can be applied to any disagreement. Why fight over something that you know you cannot change, when all you have to do is accept that not everybody will share the same beliefs that you do.

It doesn’t matter whether Bigfoot truly exists, or whether any religion is the right religion, it’s the idea that people can believe in whatever they want to without the fear of being ridiculed or discriminated against. People’s values and ideas come from what they truly believe in, and they should not have to pretend to believe in anything else because people may not feel the same way, they should feel secure in their beliefs, and should never let anybody make them feel otherwise.