Self Discipline

Ethan - Quinton, Virginia

Self discipline can be a difficult value for people to learn. Through the years I have found that self discipline helps me manage my academic stress, my relationships, and my health and athletic performance. But I never really had a whole lot of self discipline growing up. I was extremely hyper most of the day, and I would jump on the furniture and wrestle my older brother whenever I found an opportunity. Despite my parent’s warnings, I would continue to do what I wanted when I wanted. But eventually, my parents started to punish me to help me develop a little discipline. More importantly, they helped me develop discipline through setting good examples. They started assigning me productive chores around the house, and they always praised me when I did something helpful on my own.

Aside from making my parents happy, I found that self discipline helped manage my academic stress and relationships. For example, I found that school was much easier when I was disciplined about staying on top of my homework and paying attention in class. Beginning in primary school, as soon as I got off the bus I would go into my living room and start on my homework. This self discipline eventually carried over into my study habits, which improved my test scores dramatically. Self discipline can also help you manage your relationships and keep them going strong. Growing up, I found that I really enjoyed spending time by myself, which led to me not contacting my friends for extended periods of time. Now that I’m in college, I find that I need a lot of self discipline to keep in touch with my friends back home. Also, I need self discipline when it comes to romantic relationships, especially after that “new feeling” dissipates. Once you start to get lazy in a relationship, the relationship will quickly become stale.

Aside from managing my relationships, self discipline helps me improve my overall health and athletic performance as well. When I joined the wrestling team in eighth grade, I was extremely weak and out of shape. But I soon fell in love with the sport, and with the help of my coaches I was able to form a strong sense of self discipline. With a little self motivation and discipline, I came up with a very intense weight lifting and cardio routine for the off season. Before I knew it, I had completely changed my appearance, which amazed my coaches and teammates the following season.

Overall, self discipline has proven to be very beneficial in improving my well being. My self discipline has helped me manage my academic stress, manage my relationships, and improve my health and athletic performance. Fortunately, it is very possible for anyone to develop self discipline through a little hard work and willpower. It will help you take control of your life and improve yourself in ways that you never thought were possible. This is what I believe.