The Right Time and Place

Winnie - Plano, Texas
Age Group: 65+
Themes: change, gratitude

The Right Time and Place

I believe that, as an eighty four year old woman, I came into this world at a particular place and time offering a quality of life never before available to the human race, especially to women. The place is the United States and the time spans the twentieth century. Basic to my good quality of life has been women’s access to education which opened doors to knowledge and opportunities. Next came, the incredible technological and medical advances. The thought of enduring any kind of operation without the benefit of anesthetics is mind boggling.

My arrival on this planet came shortly after women had been freed from years of excessive child bearing with its tragic results. I have been privileged to live during the establishment of equal civil rights and the elimination of legal racial segregation in this country. Remembering how it was allows me, even though I am white, to appreciate the progress still being made. I never thought I would live to see a black president. Now, I may even live to see a female president.

Leonardo de Vinci and his dreams of human flight came to mind when I built my own small aircraft and as a sixty five year old grandmother flew a little 85 horse powered puddle jumper to many far away places including a flight from Dallas to the Arctic Circle in Alaska.

I came into this world in time to experience and savor some of the last pristine environments. The bayou where I grew up was clean, fresh and full of fish for the catching. Not only did I learn to swim in it, I also spent hours exploring its shore lines as it meandered through pristine wilderness. Now, that is no more. How many people today have ever seen the night sky chocked full of blazing bright stars? Not many.

I was born on the tail end of the horse and buggy era and have lived to see humans ride on the moon’s surface in a moon buggy. I may yet live to see astronauts walk on the surface of Mars and learn if life got a start on other planets. I did not experience the wonders of electricity until I was ten years old when it arrived in my neck of the woods, thanks to rural electrification. Now, I never turn on a light without thinking, “Wow! that was neat. It certainly beats kerosene lamps!”

Now, as I approach my departure from this world I take comfort knowing I will make it under the fence before the expected impact of over population and global warming begin to be felt. If indeed this happens the implications for the future seem bleak to me, so I believe my departure will be well timed. It was the luck of the draw that I came along at the right place and the right time.