The Simple Things in Life

Michelle - Wilmington, Massachusetts

I believe that the most important things in life are the simple things: laughter, smiles, skipping, holding hands, snuggles…the list goes on. All these things bring warmth and can be the cure for the most somber times of one’s life. They come easily, but can mean so much. I believe that we all must learn to appreciate the small things in life, because in the end, they are what matter the most. If you have lost a loved one, lost something important to you, or encountered some other tough incident, you probably know what I’m talking about. The little things are what keep us going and cheer us up. Even when it seems like everything is lost, happiness can still be found through the tiniest gestures and in our past. The sweet, simple things in our lives are what linger in our memories and define who we are as individuals.

ALS defeated my father in the December of ‘07. I sometimes feel lost when I think of the events in my future that I wont be able to share with him, and the pride he won’t get a chance to feel: learning how to drive, going to college, my wedding day. But then I look back and remember the little things that we did get to experience: watching the stars, making S’mores on the beach, carving pumpkins, ice skating, and it makes me feel better because I know that even though the time I got to spend with my father was much shorter than I expected, it was still full of good times. Even though he is missing out on some big experiences, at least he didn’t miss out on the little things that matter most.

They are things we might overlook while in the moment, but when we look back to the times of simple bliss, whatever they may be, we discover how much they really matter. Make the best of what time you have, and recognize the tender moments of life. Because I believe that these are the things you will never lose.