This I Believe…A Single Individual Can Have A Vast Impact on A Child’s Life

Nichole - Houston, Texas

Staring out of the boxed window, up at the sky blackened with coal, I could not help but to imagine what my world would have been like without my grandfather. My life would have been somewhat of a story of The Jungle Book, or The Life and Times of Tarzan, a misplaced child. As the rain began to beat against the window to my room, I began to drift into a heavy sleep. My dream placed me in a time capsule, where I would go back to the years of my grandfather.

Hustle and bustle filled the halls of Durham Elementary as the school days were over. The echo of the screams and laughter of the children could be heard. I ran as fast as I could to the outside of the school, so I could hop on the bus.

I anxiously waited for the remainder of the children to fill the bus so I could get to my bus stop, to my grandfather. The bus finally pulled off and proceeded to drop various children off at their own bus stops. With each child off the bus, I became closer and closer to him. I could feel the excitement building up in me, the blood rushing through my veins, and my heart pounding. As soon as I could see my stop, I jumped up despite the screams of the bus driver. Before the door opened, I ran as fast as I could to the front of the bus, just in time that the bus driver opened the door. The red 1980 Buick century, shined bright in the sunlight and it was no surprise that my grandfather had been waiting on me. I jumped into the car and embraced my grandfather with as much force as an eight year old could have.

On the short ride home he asked me how school had been that day and if I had been good. I usually replied good and showed him the bright blue stamp on my hand that said great. When we reached his house, he turned off the buzzing ignition of his car and we both proceeded to the front door of his house. As soon as the key unlocked the door we both raced to his room to turn on the Astros’ game or to watch Texas Ranger. In the short time we had together we talked of everything a father and daughter should talk about. He taught me discipline, respect, how to be loyal to love ones and tolerance of mistreatment.

I could hear my mom calling me over and over, I thought her yelling was a part of my dream, but I soon awoke. I arose from the bed, pulled my hood over my head and followed my mother out of the door. On the way to the church I could feel the hurt in my heart. I could feel a drummer beginning to beat on my head as if I were the drum. I could feel anger and any emotion that anyone could ever feel. I look out the car window at the rain beating on the window and I could feel a stream of tears trickling down my face. My grandfather, my father was gone forever and only his memories and everything he taught me remained.

I believe that one influential, positive adult can have a significant impact powerful influence on a child’s life. My grandfather was, and still is despite his no longer being here, a father and a person who significantly impacted my life. He taught me how to love, how to respect, how to be appreciative, how to value life, hot to treat others, and how to be a good person, a god friend. He passed on to me his wisdom and his knowledge. The things I cherish the most that he instilled in me were how to truly see the world, and not be blinded by anyone; how to follow my dreams, and be passionate about things; how to be focused and not let anyone tell me what I can’t do.