I Believe in a Solid Education

Katherine - Aurora, Colorado

In this day and age, a person cannot survive on minimum wage, the only way to make enough money is to graduate from high school and get a degree or if you know “big” people. I believe in graduating from high school and getting some kind of college degree. I believe in a solid education.

I have had “joe jobs” before, you know, fast food, customer service, sales, I’m in a “joe job” right now. I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken when I was 16, there, the manager was able to and did treat me like crap whenever he wanted. I lifted 50 pound trash bags into a dumpster a foot taller than me, I scrubbed shit off of the walls and floors of the bathrooms, I held my tongue to customers from Hell, and I burnt myself everyday on the chicken racks all for seven twenty five an hour and greasy skin.

I let my school life be about the same, I made it out to be more of a pain to me than it was, therefore, I slept instead of going to class most of my high school life. I had bad grades and a bad job.

Armando’s Ristorante was a little bit more dignified, I was a “counter girl.” My responsibilities there were much cleaner and not as heavy, but I still always had the annoying jobs. I worked at Armando’s for a year at the same exact wage the whole time, while all the other girls with my same position got raises a few times a year. I had to relieve the other girls of their duties on days when they were sick or had something to do, but had to come in myself when I was sick or had something to do. I couldn’t keep having these bad grades and lame jobs. I finally quit when I got accepted at a higher paying telemarketing job.

I saw older friends around me who dropped out of school and had jobs at Taco Bell or no job at all and I didn’t want to be there. My Senior year of high school, I was blasted with the fact that I was not going to get into college at all. My GPA was a 1.2 and there was no chance to raise it to a satisfactory grade. All I could do was try to make myself look good and hopefully someplace would accept me based on my “potential.” I did try, I tried really hard. My GPA was a 3.3 all year. I still didn’t have much faith that I could get anywhere, but my school counselor and teachers helped a lot. In May 2008, I graduated Smoky Hill high school and was ready to go to Community College of Aurora in the fall.

After my senior year, I decided I needed a more dignified, full-time job. I got hired at eCreek solutions group as a telemarketer. Thank goodness I was promoted quickly to be a quality assurance inspector, that way, I don’t have to deal with angry customers, I just evaluate the people that do. During the time I have spent at eCreek, unfortunately, most of the people working there are living with their parents, have children of their own, and only half own a car. This is my “in between” job, this is what I’m doing until I have a career. I can’t stay there and live with my parents for the rest of my life.

A strong education is more important now than ever. Life is hard, life is harder when you have a weak background. In this I believe, in a solid education and hard work I believe.