College helped me find myself

shante - harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: place

This I believe Essay

College is typically when a teenager leaves home for the first time. It is a learning experience in more than one way. Of course you are at college to receive an education but it is also the first time a majority of us have been completely on our own, without our parents to depend on. It’s a time where we can explore our new found freedom and really begin to find out who we are as individuals. My journey here has been no different. Recently I began to reflect on my life thus far.

I am from Virginia Beach which is three and a half hours away. I moved to Virginia Beach when I was twelve. It was the sixth time I had to move, both of my parents were in the Navy and had been re-stationed there. I think by moving around constantly I am settle into new places easily. Of course I think about my friends that I have left and we keep in touch. At the same time though, I think that each move gets a little bit easier.

I thought I should give a little of my background before I shared my belief because I didn’t want it to be chalked up to being home sick or not being able to cope with living in a new environment.

I believe that by coming to college and living in a totally new atmosphere has really re-emphasized how much I love being at home in Virginia Beach.

Virginia Beach has a more laid back environment and a lot of the activities that my friends and I do are centered around the beach. When I’m not working chances are I’m either long boarding at the boardwalk or laying out at the beach. Two of my best friends work at Wave Riding Vehicles (WRV) and they are always sponsoring events that I’m able to go to because I’m also friends with their boss.

It is also been really hard getting used to the weather change. The winters in Virginia Beach are mild to say the least. It is so strange not seeing people out and about. Campus is pretty much a ghost town when it is cold and its understandable.

In conclusion, I have shared why I believe that coming to college had made me appreciate being able to go back to Virginia Beach. I don’t want to make it seem like I don’t like being at JMU because I really do love it up here. I just think that Virginia Beach is more familiar and more comfortable for me. Ever since I was little I’ve always lived at the beach because of my parents job so the beach is the one thing that always remained constant in my life. When you think about it every beach town is pretty much the same, you participate in the same activities so I’ve really had to live that far out of my element.