I Believe In Change

Jessica - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: change

Change is a part of life. We undergo change frequently. Sometimes it could be for the better, or for the worse. Very minor or life changing, in the end things always seem to work out well.

Family, school, and friends. This seems to be a big part of almost everyone’s life. Little by little over the past few years all of this has changed for me. To start, my family. In sixth grade instead of focusing on getting ready for junior high, and soon high school, I had other issues to worry about. I was shocked and emotional when my parents made it clear to my sister, brother, and I that they would no longer be living in the same house. It was apparent, my parents were getting a divorce. It was a difficult time and I knew I didn’t want to leave the place that I’d known my whole life to live somewhere else with my Mom. With that being said, a time came when not having her around made my life miserable. For me, my mom had always been my ‘go to’ person when I needed something. I would soon realize that this wasn’t the only change that I would be confronted with.

After a while, I had gone back and forth between houses. While living in a different town with my Mom I had convinced my dad to send me to the middle school in his town. For two years, my mom traveled back and forth so that I was allowed to go to school with my childhood friends. My mom had insisted when it was time for high school I would be attending school in my town, which meant LT. I was frightened, and a nervous wreck when it was the summer starting freshman year. I hadn’t known a single soul that went to LT. The only way out of my nightmare was to move back in with my dad. So I did. Starting high school on the volleyball team made me extremely committed to school. After the season ended, I would go home to a lonely house because my dad always seemed to be working. It began to get frustrating when nobody was there to talk to, and it was up to myself to decide what I would eat for dinner. After a while, I couldn’t handle the stress. I made a phone call to my mom, and I soon made a decision that would change my life even more.

Going to school the next day I decided not to tell anybody that I would be transferring out. I just wasn’t ready for some of the negative feed back that I would receive. After leaving my old school, my friends and I from second grade had started to drift apart. And day after day at LT I started to meet new people.

From changing my household environment, to a new school, and new faces I managed to survive. For this reason, I believe in change.