Hira - Katy, Texas

I believe if we try to be more open-minded, we can be at peace with each other

I realized this one day at Wal-Mart. My mom was parked outside with my sister and me in the car. We were parked in the fire lane waiting for my brother to come out. We were just sitting there minding our own business when out of nowhere a random guy walks by and says, “Well, I guess all the terrorists are parked here.” We are Muslims so, you can just imagine all the hate stares we get. When that man called us terrorists, we were shocked. We had never been called that in the 20 years my family has been here.

That man was arrogant which was why he called us that. He did not take the time to learn about our religion, so he just said whatever he heard. He shouldn’t have done that. He should have looked at the facts and he would see that we aren’t terrorists. Every community has some good people and some bad. It shouldn’t reflect upon the entire society.

However, one day we were walking into Wal-Mart again and I saw this old woman who needed help with her cart. She had many items and couldn’t hold them all as she was walking to her cart. So, I stopped and helped her pick up her items and took them to the cart. She was extremely grateful and even stopped to ask questions about Islam and was interested in it. Another account that occurred was when my mom was in the mall. She saw a lady following her. She tried to go in a different direction but, the lady kept on following her. My mom stopped and asked her if she needed anything and the lady told her that she was curious why we cover our heads. My mom happily explained why we did so.

The examples that were given above showed that these women were open-minded and wanted to learn about another religion. They did not assume that we are automatically terrorists just because we dress differently, but instead they took the time to get to know us. So in conclusion, I believe if we try to be a little less arrogant, we will have more harmony in this world. An unknown source also said, ‘the open-minded see the truth in different things; the narrow-minded see only the differences.’