Go Ahead, Laugh!

Erik - pleasanton, California

I believe in the importance and power of laughter. Unlike anger or sadness, which we can sometimes find ourselves holding inside, laughter is one of the few emotions our bodies simply won’t allow us to keep inside. Although there are certainly plenty of people who live happy lives, life is too short to spend being sad. In most cases, the act of laughing shows a genuine sign of happiness.

Laughing keeps my mind off other worries and troubles in my life. Nothing can brighten my day, no matter how terrible, more than a good laugh. Whenever I find myself in a glum mood, it seems that my thoughts are always going negative. I try to have an optimistic outlook on life as much as possible, however when I feel down, my personality shifts to a more pessimistic perspective. Being around my friends is one of the greatest ways I can be happy. Most of the humor that comes from being around my friends is sarcasm. Often times we most simplistic things and take them to obtuse extremes in order to achieve a good laugh. Aside from watching comedy movies or television, I know that I will definitely have a few good laughs just being around my friends.

I feel that many people truly underestimate the significance of laughter. It is used to help out so many different situations. To start, it is the universal icebreaker. When speaking in front of a group, beginning with some sort of humor is almost a guaranteed attention grabber. It eases the tension and creates a sense of closeness. For me, laughing connects me with the people in that state because it brings down barriers.

Telling a joke, or coming up with a witty remark causing everyone to laugh is feeling unlike anything else. Knowing that I can be the source of a few seconds of joy to someone is an indescribable sensation. The thing is, laughter is contagious. I find myself laughing at just the sight of another person laughing. There are physical bodily improvements that are related to laughter as well. According to Dr. Elizabeth Scott, laughing reduces the levels of stress hormones while at the same time increases the amount of health enhancing hormones. Laughing also relaxes our bodies by loosening up our muscles and lowering blood pressure. Laughter is essential in living a healthy stress free life.

Laughing makes my life worth living. My grandmother, who is 85 years old and living well, told me that the key to her health I her constant happiness. She has one of the best senses of humor of anyone I have ever met. In my life I strive to be a successful person. I define success as having wealth, good health, and happiness. I know in my life, the happiness and even the good health aspect, will be achieved through laughter. So live and learn, and don’t forget to laugh while doing so.