My Garden

Jessica - Wilmington, Massachusetts

In my garden there are vegetables, fruits, flowers, and herbs. I plant the seeds in the springtime, and I watch them grow until the end of the summer. For almost all the sixteen years I have been alive, I have kept my garden neat and pristine. My mom started my passion for gardening before I could even walk or talk. The more I grew, the more responsibilities I took on in the garden, until one day, it became my own.

I still remember in kindergarten, the long hours I spent in my garden. I put in so much work and reaped the benefits later on. I enjoyed watching the tomatoes grow, the two stalks of corn produce those yellow ears, and counting the number of pea pods that my plants produced from pretty flowers.

I believe in self growth and doing everything in your power to become stronger, more knowledgeable, and all around better. I believe in striving to produce the best work of your capability. For this reason, I loved looking at my garden grow over the years. Each year the rhubarb would grow thicker and the cantaloupe would become juicier. Each year I would add more types of produce and flowers. In my little space of about five yards by nine yards, I created something beautiful and growing more so with each season.

With each year, I personally grew physically, mentally, and spiritually. I got taller than I had been the last. Mentally, I was developing an extraordinary mind, gaining more and more knowledge each year. Spiritually, I developed for the better by attending church each week and learning. Just as I grew and developed better characteristics, my garden did exactly the same. In my toddler and elementary school years, I had hours upon hours of free time. At entering my middle school and high school years, my life busied with family, friends, boys, sports, clubs, and honors and AP courses. Gradually, I was spending less and less time with my garden.

I believe that everything in life is accompanied by hindrances. People, objects, events, and whatnot will try to stop you from completing what you want to accomplish. Even though my busy life hindered the amount of time that I spent on my garden, I found time after school and sports and on Sundays to tend my garden.

Similarly, my garden has always faced interferences. Worms, such as cut worms, destroy plants. Cutworms rap themselves around the stems of tomato plants and try to snap the stems in half. Woodchucks, a type of big, pesky rodent, always came into the garden and ate my produce. Also, with less time to spend with my garden, I often forgot to water the plants, which would then wilt and die. Another hindrance became the trees around my garden. Over the years, they grew and blocked the sunlight from reaching the plants. However, all of these problems had a solution to them. I eventually found an organic pesticide that killed the cutworms. I fenced in the portion of my garden with the produce in order to keep out the woodchucks. My six year old brother offered to help out with the watering when I was not around. Lastly, I got my dad to help me cut down the tree branches that prevented the sunlight from reaching the garden. In my own life, I have tried to eliminate the majority of the people and objects that hindered my growth. I narrow down what in my life stunts my mental growth, and I say goodbye to it. In this regard, I grow up to my full potential.

Honestly, when I look at my basil, chives, and oregano, I fill up with pride. It’s a great feeling being able to eat food when you know that you did not by it from the grocery store. Looking at my array of plants in my garden, I see how much I have grown over the years, as well as how much growing I have to come. My garden embodies one of my core beliefs. I believe in self growth and expressing your growth through a hobby in order to learn how to become stronger and better by overcoming your obstacles.