I Believe In Expressing Yourself

Lauren - Wilmington, Massachusetts

I believe that everyone should express themselves. Whether it is by the way you dress, the way you act, or the people you hang out with, I think everyone has the ability to express what ever is inside of them. It can be as easy as putting on a piece of clothing, or writing a simple poem; any way to let out your feelings is great. I strongly believe in this because by expressing yourself, you can show what type of person you truly are.

I express myself all of the time. When I wake up in the morning I ponder what to wear, and it seems whatever I put on expresses how I’m feeling when I wake up and throughout the entire day. In school I’m probably seen as the shy smart girl who doesn’t have a lot to say, but that is my own way of expressing my self. However, I have a whole completely different way of expressing myself outside of school. I love to play sports, and by engaging in these activities expresses my athleticism and teamwork. Also by playing soccer, softball, and tennis, I can release some of that built up anger, or express any other feelings from that day. I believe that what you do and how you express yourself gives off an image to everyone around you, so it is important to express yourself, so you can be seen as your own individual.

When I’m with my friends and family I let my quiet, reserved self go and express my crazier side. With my friends and relatives; who are basically my life, I feel that I express my true self, which not many people get to see. With them, I express myself by laughing constantly, cracking jokes, and by talking about the most random and most personal things. But the thing that expresses me the most is singing. I sing constantly, and even though it’s probably a nuisance to my parents and sister, it’s kind of a habit, and I never stop. Singing is my favorite way of expressing my self because every song has a different message and rhythm, and however I feel that day is how I choose what song to sing…over and over again. I express myself in these ways, because this is who I am, and the way you convey yourself says a lot about who you are and reflects what kind of person you are. I believe that you should put across your feelings to everyone around you. I believe you should express yourself.