Friendship, The Gift of Life

Alejandra - Houston, Texas

There is at least one thing in every person’s life, which they are very passionate about. An idea or thing that is precious to them, something which they are willing to defend at all times. For me, that would have to be friendship. Ok, cue the flashback. It’s my freshman year of high school, and everyday feels like a slap in the face. But, what can you expect when you are practically the school loner. Believe me, this was not how I had planned my freshman year of high school to be. I had declared to everyone that it would be an awesome year, I mean; I was going to start off at a new school with my three best friends and I would soon have even more friends. However due to certain circumstances (my father’s overprotective thoughts) I ended up at a completely different school, one that had NEVER even crossed my mind.

Due to my “great luck” no one I knew went to that school. I am very friendly and like to meet new people, but I am also very shy, so naturally, making friends would probably take a while. Those long months of solitude, led me to a very painful depression. Things were just not going my way…my father had just come out of his own depression, and my grandfather had just passed away. I felt like there was no longer a point to life. Then, when I was beginning to lose all hope, my friends came through for me. They helped me with my depression, and eventually got me to cheer up. They helped me be a little bit less shy—well at least enough to talk to some people and make friends. This showed how loyal my friends truly are and that we have a very strong friendship. I am now a junior in high school, and things are going a lot better. Thanks to my friends, I don’t have that problem anymore and now I have many new buddies 2 more best friends because of that.

My friends’ concern is probably what saved my life. After that, I vowed to do the same for the rest of my friends. Sadly, two of my friends are going through a depression at the moment. I am doing as much as possible to try and help them out of those dark and lonely shadows. I now understand how much my friends had struggled with me. Thankfully one of them is doing a little better. However, the other one attempted to commit suicide and is now in the hospital. It’s painful to see your friends go through a difficult time, such as depression, because it kills you to see their suffering.

The memories of their faces smiling, or making a joke, haunt you in your dreams, throughout the day, reminding you how much pain they are in. What hurts the most, is knowing that you are doing everything you can to help them, but that they just don’t want to listen or accept your help. It is very frustrating to see how they destroy themselves while you are trying to help them. I won’t give up though, I will keep pushing and pushing until they finally listen, just like my friends did for me.