I Believe In Running

Matthew - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: sports

I believe in running. Running also allows individuals to escape daily issues and relieves stress. It is also a social activity that allows people to engage in thoughtful conversations while performing an activity that is healthy for them.

Running is a lifelong activity and, if done on a routine basis, leads to a healthy lifestyle. I do not always eat healthy, especially now as I am in college, but running allows me to maintain my weight and a somewhat healthy lifestyle. If I had chosen to not run in college, my weight would have most likely ballooned. This is demonstrated by the fact that, with running three to four times a week, I still struggle keeping off excess body weight.

Stress and daily problems can also be relieved with running. I experience this when I decide to go for a run when I feel bogged down with work. This is a way for me to escape the large amount of work I have to complete. By doing this, my mind is benefitted as I become more relaxed during the run. I complete the thirty minute or so run and feel refreshed and ready to begin my work. I have witnessed others decide to run as a way to escape stress caused by excessive work or other problems and they reap the same benefits.

Running allows people to escape the problems life has thrown at them. It is important to enjoy the outdoors and forget about daily problems sometimes. People do not realize that taking time out of their day to look at their surroundings has a positive effect on their thoughts. Who does not like the sound of being able to engage in conversations about daily life while doing something that benefits the body and mind? I believe that many non-runners would find this aspect of running appealing.

I believe that many people understand that running is important and that it offers many benefits, but that they are too lazy or just not interested enough to begin running. I would argue to these people stating that I used to despise running and now I run because of the benefits it offers. You do not need to actually enjoy running or run because it is fun. As a student of James Madison University, I have witnessed many students running at the University Recreation Center. I know that many of those who run on the treadmills and the indoor track do not actually enjoy what they are doing, but they realize that it benefits their health. The belief that running has healthy benefits is the most important aspect of running.

Even though there are days when I do not feel like running, I stay committed to enhancing my health and lifestyle and continue to run. A life committed to running is vital to living healthy. I believe in running and the positive impacts it has on the body and mind.