Stephanie - Midlothian, Virginia

Faith is a multi-dimensional, essential aspect of my life. People tend to only think of faith as “the belief and trust in and loyalty to God,” or “a system of a religious belief.” I feel that people overlook a simple, basic definition of faith: “the reliance or trust in a person or thing.” Because of my foundational faith in God, I believe in both aspects of faith. My faith not only guides my thoughts and actions, but it also enables me to look at situations with optimism and hope.

I have faith in a person’s good character and caring nature. Even though people are shaped and labeled by the world, they never lose their good nature; sometimes they just need someone to have a little faith in them. In times of need, I believe that people will put their self-interests behind them and focus on others. I have experienced the love of friends who dropped everything to listen to me, cry with me, lift me up and then laugh with me. Such instances of love renew my faith in people. I also see beauty in a child’s faithful and trusting nature. When I was seven, my parents decided my family and I were moving. Although I was not very happy, I had faith that they were making the right decision for me and my family. Taking a moment to stand in a child’s shoes gives me a promising perspective on people and the world. Our society today does not seem to have faith in the world, but that is only because people are not looking in the right places. We hear about the number of tragic deaths from disease but do not hear the miraculous stories of cancer survivors. We see the statistics of soldiers killed in war but miss the stories about the heroic husbands, dads, and brothers coming home to their families. My faith also allows me to see little miracles in the simple acts of kindness. The demonstrations of love that people portray everyday are often overlooked; however, these acts hold communities together and prove that it is possible to have faith in the world.

Without faith in my life, I would constantly face disappointment and see this world as a sad, lonely, helpless place. Because I have faith, I see goodness in people, I find miracles all around me, and I look at problems with a positive attitude. I believe in all of these aspects of faith because of my foundational faith in God. One of my favorite verses, Hebrews 11:1, says, “Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see.” I believe in having faith.