Because of her

Jayme - Culpeper, Virginia
Themes: family, gratitude

This I believe about my sister and me, as once stated by Margaret Mead, “Sisters is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship.” How I came about this philosophy is the relationship my sister and I have had over the years. I have also seen this philosophy come true with my mother and her sister’s relationship. I chose this to be my philosophy because without my sister I do not make sense and the closeness we share is why I am here today and the person I am today.

The relationship my sister and I have had over the years is how I came about choosing our relationship as my topic. Growing up with an older sister was not always fun, it had its perks as well as its downfalls. As a child, I always wanted to follow my sister around, dress like her and act just like her. I envied my sister very much and still do to this day, but to her I was a pest and the golden child. We fought for my parents’ attention a lot when we were younger, whether it was acting out or getting good grades. As we grew older our relationship began to transition. My sister taught me how to put my makeup on, how to do my hair and what outfits I should wear. Then my sister turned eighteen and as she always promised she left home, or my parent’s rules. To me, it was as if I was losing my best friend to someone else, someone who she saw as more important than me. It was as if her and her husband went off and began a whole new life without me and I could not tag along anymore.

In June 2006 my sister called me and informed me she was pregnant, changing our relationship dramatically. I was with my sister almost every day of her pregnancy. Every rush to the hospital, I was rushing too, every doctor’s appointment I was there and every time she called and just needed someone to talk to while her husband was at work, I was by her side. It was as if in that moment she no longer looked to me as just her sister but as her best friend. My sister’s pregnancy saved our relationship and brought us back together again.

An exemplar of my philosophy is the relationship my mother has had with her own sister. Growing up they fought about everything and competed for their parents’ attention constantly. Then they grew up and began their own families and realized how important each other was. My mother often tells me she could not imagine life without her sister; neither can I.

I chose the relationship my sister and I have because without her I would not be who or where I am today. I would not have made it through life without my sister, and I thank her.