Faith

Desiree - North Andover, Massachusetts

Has your faith ever been tested? Mine has been tested many times by different people and different ways. I can think of a lot of events when my faith has been tested. One time when my faith got tested was when I started going to a catholic school and we learned about god and religion. I was only in first grade when I started going there so I didn’t really understand. It was kind of interesting I guess we went to church and everything. But, I was only at that school for one more year after first grade. After I left second grade I didn’t really believe that the stuff we learned really happened until I got a little older and started going to church and joined the choir. Now I’m starting to believe in god because also in seventh grade we had an assembly about Rachel Joy Scott who was the first girl who died in the Columbine shooting. She somehow knew she was going to die at a young age. She kept journals when she wrote to god to help her when she was in sorrow and to help her not do anything bad. But her story was powerful and made me believe more in the stuff I learned in catholic school.

My faith was also tested in second grade when my friend Kirsten and I have been friends for two years and we hung out almost all the time. Then we switched seats in school and I got sat next to this girl Almah and Kirsten got sat with this other girl Kelly. So, Kirsten got all happy because she sat next to her. I thought Kirsten wouldn’t ditch me for someone else since she always got mad when I hung out with someone else. After a while they started to become friends. Then they started hanging out with each other so then Kirsten basically just started leaving me out and only hung out with Kelly. She would only hang out with me when her and Kelly were in a fight. Sometimes I hung out with the both of them. Then after second grade I moved and then Kirsten told me that Kelly didn’t even like me. Even though Kirsten left me out sometimes when she was with Kelly I couldn’t be mad at her she was my best friend even though we didn’t hang out much in second grade. But, Kirsten and I are still friends we have been since kindergarten. She’s a friend I don’t want to ever lose.

Another time when my faith was tested was when I thought someone was my friend when they really weren’t. This happened not that long ago when my friend Cassandra told me my neighbor Aida said I was immature. So I asked Aida why she said that. Then the next day Cassandra called me saying “you talked to Aida?” I told her “yeah” Then she said “saying what?” I said. “I just asked her why she said I was immature” So she said “what the heck why did you even have to say anything? That’s it I’m never your friend again” and hung up on me. She got mad just for that after she did the same exact thing the night before. Then I didn’t talk to her in a while but she was trying to get other people mad at me. Then she ended up calling me one day but my mom answered and Cassandra asked for me and my mom told her ”yes but she’s not talking to you” and they hung up. A couple minutes later Cassandra’s sister called me and I answered then Cassandra got on the phone and said. “ If your going to tell people what happened then tell them the truth thank you bye.” I wasn’t even talking to her she just kept saying thing to me to make the argument worse. Then she brought it into the school by having her friend come up to me and say “you and your mom don’t know how to keep a secret that’s why nobody likes you here” I just said whatever. But she was like “hey watch your mouth.” So I told the principle and he told them to not even talk to me. The next day my friend and I walked by them and I heard Cassandra say snitch. So, I told the principle and then I got called to his office and they told him that they never said one word to me that day. Then I told him that “when I was at lunch me and my friend walked by them and Cassandra said snitch” Cassandra said ‘No I didn’t I don’t say that word I swear on my life” I said. “Yeah you did my friend even heard you say it” Then Cassandra’s friend was like “we were talking about going back to tech ed” After that I got to leave. Then I found out Aida never said I was immature she said Cassandra was. So, Cassandra lied to me and true friends don’t lie to you so I learned that she’s not one to me.

Also, my faith was tested one year at Christmas when I got really excited. I left out milk and cookies and even wrote a letter to Santa. I don’t know why I was so excited that year. But, when I went to bed and woke up the next morning there was a letter from Santa. When I read it, it said that “I heard you haven’t been being really nice to your father. The writing looked like my dads writing though. I never found out if it was my dads writing or not but I’m pretty sure it was. I did believe in Santa but since then I don’t think he’s real. I think he might’ve been at one time but not anymore.

Faith is trust in a person or thing, it is belief that is not based on truth, Also it is belief in anything. To me faith is something you strongly think is true or isn’t true than you find out different. I have faith in some things that I find out or will find out to be true or maybe even not to be true. Faith is a value I have and its important to me.