I Believe In Art

Faith - Richmond, Virginia

Imagine a world without art. Art is involved in almost everything around you; from the textbook on your desk, to the clothes you have on, to the cell phone you carry-an artist created its outward appearance. I believe that art is a basis of culture and that everyone should have an understanding of art and its history.

Today, art is being threatened to be removed from modern education. When budgets become tight the first thing schools consider taking out of the classroom are the arts. Art is an outlet for many people and a way to express so many feelings and emotions. Even the smallest child can express extreme things through art. To take that away from a basic learning situation would be a huge mistake. Art can open doors for children, motivate students to excel beyond regular expectations, give opportunity to those that have had other doors shut to them, and keep many students away from trouble. By joining classes that let them express themselves in any way they want it can keep students from taking other measures that have negative effects to express themselves.

Many people don’t understand or see everything that goes into the making of art. The long process, the frustration, and eventually the beautiful feeling of a finished work sitting in your hands. That feeling alone is one that encourages and motivates. Certainly not everyone finds his or her calling in the art world, but with increased openness to the arts many people would have the potential to enhance their own field of study. I believe that everyone should attempt to make some form of art or learn about its incredible past, present, or future. Art in no way has to be perfect or a standard, it just has to come from you and what you believe to be your best form of creative expression.

As an art major I am often confronted with the stereotypical questions- “What are you actually going to do with that major?” “Your classes are so easy, what do you mean you have work? All you do is scribble on paper.” Comments like these make me question what sort of society and culture our country has become. I fear that unlike our European counter parts we lack a richness and respect for the fine arts and the role they play in the world.

I believe that art can change the world. It has the power to change people’s lives. Even president Franklin Roosevelt saw that. During the Great Depression he enlisted many artist into the WPA to create murals and uplifting paintings all over the cities. This changed the way people viewed the world, instead of seeing things as dismal and no way to escape the disaster they looked at people making things with their hands and beautiful motivational images and it changed their outlook on the world. Everyone can appreciate art in our daily world, and everyone can be influenced positively by art.