Olamide - Houston, Texas
Themes: work

I believe that when you make a mistake in the past, you can learn from the mistake to succeed in the present and the future. In order to move up the ladder of success, we must come to terms with our past and apply it into our future. The mistakes we made in the past will make us wiser, and will make us better people.

Nearly four years ago, when I became a freshman in high school, I made a very bad decision that greatly affected me. I started to skip school, and I never did my work in class. I always got into trouble and I felt like high school was just a place to have fun. I started to backslide, and my grades were nothing to write home about, but I still didn’t care. One day at school, my councilor called me to her office and told me if I didn’t get my act together, I would be expelled or I might repeat my freshman year. She gave me so many words of advice, but those words did not sink in. Even my family tried everything they could to get me serious but I wasn’t ready to listen. On one fateful day, my closest friend got expelled. It was then that reality seemed to set in that the same thing that happened to my friend could also happen to me. I realized I had to get myself back on track and that is exactly what I did. The second nine weeks was fast approaching. I started staying after school everyday to make up my work, and even during my lunch to make up everything I had missed. It was a lot of work, but I was determined to raise my grade up. It wasn’t easy at all, but I managed, and my grades went up except for one class I was still failing. I didn’t get expelled neither did I repeat my freshman year, but I had to do so much work, and take the class I failed in summer school.

I learned a great lesson, and this mistake has always been a guide for me. Anytime I see myself slacking off again, I slap myself, and remember my freshman year, and how much work I did to get my grades up. I always remember this past experience and I apply it to whatever decision I make when it comes to my academic performance. This past experience has made me wiser and the memories from that past experience has been my aid to the success I have in the present. Our memories, good or bad, assists us in obtaining success and we can achieve a lot by learning from our past.