Nature is Beauty

Ashley - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: nature

I believe that nature is beautiful. I didn’t always think this way; it used to be that when I thought about vacation, it consisted of sleeping on a beach, eating at restaurants, and shopping. In summer, 2007, I was in for a big surprise; vacation this year was not going to be what I expected.

My parents told my brother and sister and me that this year vacation was going to be different – we would be going to Wyoming. I was disappointed to say the least. All I was thinking about was the tan skin, the clothes, and the fine dining I was going to be missing out on. I was thinking, “What is even in Wyoming anyways? Why would my parents take us there? Do they have shopping there?” I didn’t hesitate to let my parents know that I was upset. I complained the whole time I was packing, and I didn’t stop when we arrived in Wyoming, either.

We arrived at Jackson Hole, Wyoming in the evening. As we unpacked the car, all I wanted was to climbing into a bed and go sleep; which is exactly what I did. In the morning my parents woke us up around 6:00 AM. We were going hiking in Grand Teton National Park, and they told us that the earlier we left the more wildlife we would see. I was tired and grumpy and not thrilled to be awake that early. We got dressed and ready to go. We drove into the park and noticed that cars in front of us were moving rather slowly. We were all wondering what the hold-up was until we saw it. Off the side of the road was a moose, wading into a marsh. I looked at this moose and I couldn’t help but smile. We had been told that it was rare to see a wild moose, and there was a giant bull right outside our car.

We began our hike around a lake called Jenny Lake. Looking around, I was becoming more and more enthusiastic about being there. When I saw Jenny Lake, I was immediately in complete awe. This was the most pristine sight I have ever seen. The water was so crystal clear that one could see every rock, every pebble, and every grain of sand sitting at the bottom. There was the most perfect reflection of the Grand Teton Mountains; it was practically a mirror image. I made my way to the edge of the water and just looked out in astonishment. No longer was I concerned with sleeping, shopping, or eating. All of my energy was exerted towards being where I was.

Now when I think of a vacation my expectations are so much different. I decided that I want to explore as much of nature as I can to see its beauty firsthand. Nature should be preserved and protected so that there will always be beauty in our world. This I believe.