Guidelines of Invention

Marcus - Fenton, Missouri

In elementary school several years ago, we were instructed to do a project where we would pick a famous person and then research them before presenting to the class. Once our research was finished, our presentation consisted of us dressing like our chosen person and speaking to the class about the person as if we were them telling about our life. I chose Thomas Edison for my famous person to research. I chose him because he was an inventor and I have always wanted to invent things to help people. As I researched into him, I learned a great deal about all the sorts of philosophies and problems that one must have to be a successful inventor. A successful inventor must never get discouraged because of a failure in his inventions. If Thomas Edison had given up the first time, or even the hundredth time his light bulb did not work, then we would be at least a decade or so behind in light bulb technology. To successfully invent something, you can’t just fumble about with pieces, slapping them together and expect it to work. Some sort of plan or idea must first be envisioned in order to know what must be built; otherwise you will wind up with just a jumble of parts. Measure twice, cut once, is a common phrase muttered by engineers and people who design and fabricate things out of all sorts of materials. However, as fun as simply inventing anything you wish can be, there are problems that must be addressed in order to be a successful inventor. First off, there is competition from other inventors. Back in Edison’s time copy write and patent law were only in their basic forms and so it was easy to steal somebody else’s idea and keep it as your own. Today there is law concerning the Inventors Journal, in which if it can be proven to a court that you had thought up and designed a particular idea in the past, and then ownership over the idea will be given to you. However, just because one can get it proven that an idea was theirs does not mean they shouldn’t still guard their ideas. An inventor must also be sure that when he is trying to research and invent something, that they are not creating something that someone has already made. These are the things that I have learned from Thomas Edison about being an inventor, and they are guidelines that I follow with my own creations.