The Hippie Way in Life

Jennifer - Virginia Beach, Virginia

The first time I met my now boyfriend, I thought he was the strangest kid ever. It was at church and he was playing the drums. He looked spaced out, like he didn’t know what he was doing, yet kept perfect tempo. Talking to him afterwards proved he really was as strange as he looked. Being the son of the head pastor of his church back home, I found out he ran the sound and participated in 49 weddings and 53 funerals. One of the funerals he attended was his best friend’s. He didn’t tell me this with remorse, but rather with the same strange, spaced out look. I was bewildered by his expression but even more bewildered when he told me that he never had done drugs. He was some kind of hippie, and he kept very interested because he was more different than anyone I’ve ever met.

I love the hippie idea of peace and harmony. Every now and then, I like to stop what I’m doing and take a walk around campus or sit by the lake and take in the peace, breathe in the air, or maybe say a prayer. Being away from my family and closest friends during difficult times, as well as trying to endure the amount of college workload isn’t an easy thing to handle. It’s during the times of peace and meditation that I grow with an acceptance towards things that can’t be changed right now. I rely on my quite time to keep me back in check. Appreciating what I have now has helped me move forward, to grow into someone of understanding and being content.

Being a hippie is about expressing love. It’s caring about others above myself despite their differences, also what I call “free love.” I wondered how the Church can demonstrate their principles in rules and not in love, yet preach about this topic so much. In those rules, the Church’s love was conditional: if you followed the rules, you would be loved. I heard once that Jesus was a hippie. That took me by surprise because how can they say that my personal Savior, and the very one that the Church was founded on, was some whacked out, high, druggie. But by “hippie” they meant that Jesus was radical and broke all the rules established in the time by flat out caring for people outside the norm. He loved. This is what I go by when I think of love: caring about others, despite anything else.

Even though the hippie movement in the 60s was the birth of a new kind of freedom, with that freedom came radical unconformity, and the need for peace and love. I love the hippie lifestyle and admire it to use it in my own life. This I believe.