Take A Chance

Katherine - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in taking chances. The 1995 edition of the Oxford Desk Dictionary, a comprehensive and authoritative source, defines ‘chance’ as a possibility, probability, opportunity, or fortune. Taking chances was not something I considered until my later high school years when I realized how unadventurous of a person I was. I needed to stop always trusting my “go with the flow” mentality and take action every once in a while.

I was born unadventurous. I have found that when I am encouraged to take a chance it is hard for me stay calm. Such as when I raise my hand to answer a question in class, I become extremely nervous. This simple act, taking a chance at being right or wrong with my prepared answer, leaves me with butterflies in my stomach and sweaty palms. I was raised to make rational choices and to always make plans. For me making a spontaneous decision was always gut-wrenching. For years I was called a “wuss” by my friends who were always more impulsive. I was the ‘goody-good’ and tired of it, I wanted to have more fun, and for my life to be filled with more excitement.

As one learns to take risks and chances they will find that they feel empowered and alive. Chances can also involve great risk or danger. My personal risk involving adventure occurred when I was given the chance to learn how to wakeboard. When first asked if I wanted to try this new activity I hesitated in my response. I immediately kicked myself for shying away from a great opportunity to learn something new. It was hard to pick up the right skills at first, and I had a couple of ugly falls, but once I was up on the board the thrill was amazing. Taking chances puts one in a powerful position and one of control. Ultimately, if you never take a risk you will never know what you are capable of.

Chances would not occur without the encouragement of our friends. They push us into situations we otherwise would avoid; such as talking to those we find intriguing. It is difficult to convince yourself to take this chance but after having talked to this person of interest your fears of performing this same act in the future do not seem as intimidating. You find it silly how nervous you were to be in this position. Once you take one chance and put yourself out on a limb it is easier to take more chances in the future.

Chances put us into new situations and test our abilities to adapt and cope. We take chances every day, little and big. We take a chance getting up in the morning, but keep in mind that you still need to go beyond the norm and take bigger chances. Remember to just jump, take a leap of faith, and trust yourself. If you are willing to try something new you will have nothing to regret.