Self Belief

Samantha - Harrisonburg, Virginia

During my high school years, I was considered a “party girl”. I was targeted by many parents of other kids as something to talk about, and warn their children about since they’d all seen me in the paper for being arrested at age 17. I know it was only high school and you should be having fun before you have to start “being an adult” but looking back, I wish I could have changed some of the decisions I made and done things differently. When I came to college I told myself that my future was in my hands and I had the chance to make something of myself. I believe that everyone should believe in themselves and no matter how bad you screwed up in the past, you can change and shape your life for a better more worthy future.

There are many people in this world who believe that they are too far gone to change who they are. For example, a friend of my brothers who is now 27 lives in a disgusting apartment with two other screw-ups, doesn’t go to school, and sells drugs for money. When I asked my brother why he’s like that, he told me that he thinks it’s useless and his lifestyle is what he wants, but he’s actually really unhappy. I wish he would believe he can change and create a new life.

One of my friends, Lindsey, had a great life at home with her mom. They were very well-off, and she lived in a nice neighborhood and had a gorgeous house. Being an outsider, I was always jealous of what she had because her mom was fun and wasn’t as strict as mine. She had always told me that she loved her mom but she did have a drinking problem which got to be annoying. During the last few months of sophomore year, she had been kicked out of her house by her mother at least twice a month in result to her moms drinking habits. They started to not get along as well as they used to and she finally got the courage to move out of her house to live permanently with her dad in the next town away. When Lindsey made the move, it must’ve made a huge impact on her mother because the next week Lindsey had come up to me and told me that her mom checked herself into a rehabilitation center in Vermont. Lindsey was really excited and hopeful that she would finally get her mom back and they could be happy again.

When her mom returned from rehabilitation, it was like she was a whole new person. Lindsey moved back in with her mom, and her house was no longer the house we would all crash at. Their relationship improved quickly, and you could tell Lindsey was a lot happier. I think it’s a pretty good example about how it’s possible to make your life and someone else’s life better by making better decisions.