Everything Happens For a Reason

Jaime - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: purpose, setbacks

Everything happens for a reason. I have lived my life by these words for the past two years. Trying to find that reason is not always the easiest task to accomplish, but that is a part of the adventure of life. It seems like such a silly little statement, but it has changed my whole perspective on life. Everyone has their own way of coping with some sad or tragic event, whether it is surrounding yourself with a support group of friends or family, being alone to grieve for awhile, or going on some adventure to take your mind off of it. My personal choice is searching for the reason behind the event. However before I was 17, I believed bad things happened because that is the way the world worked. When I listened my grandmother trying to teach my sisters and me all the cliché sayings that are supposed to make someone feel better, I just dismissed them. However, one person changed my whole perspective.

I met Jaclyn Hooper when I was nine years old and she was my first friend in Germany. I was one hundred percent against the move to Germany, and my attitude showed it. Even though I was shy, Jaclyn was quick to befriend me. Through her, I met all of my friends that I would have while I lived in Germany. Our friendship took me from the girl who wanted to shut out the world to the girl who wanted to be a friend to everyone.

Jaclyn came in to my life to turn me into a better friend. Jaclyn taught me to do small, simple little things to show someone you care. When, I would visit my grandparents in the United States and she would call me to check in. When I was sad about anything, Jaclyn cooked up another adventure for us to go on. She said communication keeps friendships alive. While we lived in Germany, I talked to Jaclyn every day. When I moved to Virginia, we wrote letters all the time. I believed Jaclyn and I would be lifelong friends, but unfortunately, she was killed in a car accident when we were seventeen.

Jaclyn’s death made me a stronger person. I did not handle the news of her death well; I cried for a week straight. Once again, I tried to shut out the world. It was around this time I decided to try to find her Myspace page. Her “about me” was filled with quotes about how much she loved friends and family. Her “headline” at the top of the page read “Everything happens for a reason.”Seeing her headline actually made me smile. For the first time, I felt a little sense of comfort. I decided that Jaclyn was right, that she had always been right, and it was time for me to start living my life knowing there is a reason behind everything. Everything happens for a reason, this I believe.