Cheerleading is a Sport

Marisa - San Antonio, Texas
Themes: sports

Cheerleading is a Sport

People think that cheerleading is not a sport. I believe that it is because being a cheerleader is hard work. Cheerleaders go to competitions just like any other sport and get trophies too. Instead of lifting weights, cheerleaders lift athletes in the air. Cheerleading consists of tumbling, jumps, cheers, routines and stunts. Cheerleaders cheer at sporting events to get the fans pumped and excited. The fans at our school are not that involved with our cheers, but I wish they were. When I’m doing a cheer, I look out in the stands and some of my friends look at the squad in a mean way and laugh at us. When people think that cheerleading does not require strength and stamina it makes me mad. Most male students in high school think that cheering is just a thing that some girls are into and avoid it so people won’t think they are lame. I doubt very many of them have the strength and stamina to do what we do. With this sport it requires you to be flexible like gymnastics. I would love to see one of my male friends try a round-off back handspring because you have to be flexible for that too.

Cheerleaders work just as hard as any other athlete out there and train just as much. Just like a play for basketball or football, it takes a lot of hard work to learn a cheer or routine. Having everyone on the squad learn every move correctly and sharply, not to mention the hardcore tumbling is challenging. Throwing girls up in the air, doing flips and jumping off the ground, is definitely going to cause some serious injuries. I have been thrown in the air constantly and a few times I have hit the floor and it really hurt. Tumbling can also be dangerous because a round-off back handspring with any flip in the air can hurt but that’s if the cheerleader doesn’t do it correctly and falls on her face. With all of this hard work and energy we still have to stay motivated for the crowd and cheer with a smile on our face, even if we’re in pain.

I wish people could see how hard cheerleaders really work because we do. Cheerleaders get injured and put in the same amount of heart and energy just like any other athlete. I believe cheerleading is a sport and I hope it will be in the Olympics someday in the future.