I believe in seeking justice

Ashley - Harrisonburg, Virginia
Themes: injustice

As children, we all dream of what we would like to be when we get older. From a young age I have always wanted to be an attorney because I try to help people in any way possible and fight for what was right. To this day my dream has not changed; I still want to become a prosecuting attorney because I believe in seeking justice. I believe anyone who breaks the law should receive the consequences for their actions.

I obtained the strong belief of justice because I have been surrounded by law enforcement my entire life. My mother is an arson detective, my father rides a motorcycle for Presidential escorts, and my stepfather is a retired commander of the bomb squad. Living with my parents, I am exposed to some of their cases, situations and observations from work. Being in that atmosphere I have acquired awareness and judgment skills, which have given me the desire to think as a detective and to want to solve cases. Hearing what people go through in some cases has made me want to fight for people’s rights and also give the people that have been harmed, assaulted, tormented by criminals the comfort that justice affords.

A tragic situation, which I will never forget has also made a huge contribution in my choice of career path. It was January 1, 2001, when my mother, my younger sister, and I had arrived at our home in Maryland. Standing in the foyer I saw everything completely drenched in water, the ceiling had fallen down onto the floor, and most of our belongings from what I could see was covered with soot. We couldn’t do anything but wait for the police and fire department to show up. Shortly thereafter, we were informed that someone had broken into our house and started a fire during the night. Nothing was stolen or missed place from our house, which made me believe this was not a random act, but an intentional arson fire. My family and I were forced to spend months living in a hotel missing our home terribly. I learned that home is where the heart is and nothing can replace it. It’s the place where memories are made and cherished.

As a result of my experience, I want to help people find the comfort in knowing the person who has tormented their life is paying the price for it. I want to give people justice because my family never received it. It has been 8 years and the case is still open. Because of my family’s careers and my own experience I have encountered a strong passion to become an attorney and seek justice. I believe that justice should be administered swiftly and fairly for all.