Kara - Lexington, Kentucky

“Let Music Never Die in Me”

Emily Cross

I’m standing on a stage, wearing a ridiculously hot choir gown with the lights streaming down breaking me out into an unattractive sweat. Next to me is Rachel and behind me is Shelby, two girls I’ve been in choir with since the sixth grade. I look across the stage and I see the altos. And finally I look to where my eyes have been told to look ever since I began choir, I look to my instructor, the magnificent Barry Turner. The accompaniment begins and every section takes a collective breath, then one by one our sections enter and we lift our voices together, giving us the greatest release of all.

For almost eight years of my life I have been a soprano 1 chorus nerd. I find myself singing “Do Re Mi’s” or “Lah beh dah meh’s” randomly to myself throughout the day. Being in a choir is my passion, something constant that I can fall back into, something that comes naturally and easily to me. When I walk into a choir room I feel instantly at ease. I know I’m in my element and it doesn’t matter to me how I sound, but that I get to participate.

I’ve found that singing or being in any kind of music group whether it’s chorus, band, or orchestra, is therapeutic. There is a powerful feeling of togetherness that comes with being in a group of musicians. When I stand with in my school’s choir on a stage in front of all the parents and teachers who came to hear us, or when were all just practicing in a group together in the chorus room, I feel like I am a piece of a giant whole. We’re all working together to make something beautiful. I know that my voice is just one more part of a sound that thirty or more people are helping to create.

I find myself smiling on stage at how energized my voice and choir make me feel (even though showing any type of emotion on stage is a huge no, no, it changes the way sounds come out). I believe music is powerful, it brings people together. Music, chorus for me in particular, heals the soul and lets my body release emotion through my voice. Music reaches a part inside of me and moves me. And when I am the one making the music, it gives me a sense of power, a way to connect with those around me.

Composer Joseph M. Martin wrote, “Wherever emptiness is found let there be joy and glorious sound. Let music never die in me; forever let my spirit sing! Let all our voices join as one to praise the giver of the sun! Awake, awake! Let music live!” This is from a particular piece of music that the school choir sang together called “The Awakening”. From the moment I learned the piece the lyrics spoke to me. I hope music never will die in me, I hope the music continues to nurture me as I move on through life. I believe that music lives on forever and through me and other music makers of the world, it will continue to touch and bring people together.