I Believe in Trying New Activities

Olivia - Altadena, California
Themes: courage

At the beginning of 8th grade, I was worried about high school. I didn’t know what school I wanted to attend or if I would get accepted into any of them. So to try to take my mind off of all the stress about high school, I went out for volleyball. Let me say that I am not the best at sports. So, of course, I was put on the C team. But that was fine with me because I knew that I wasn’t an outstanding player.

After volleyball ended, cross-country was starting up. I did not like running at all. My friend Kim new that I wasn’t a prodigy at running but she also knew that we ran at the same speed. So she begged me to participate in cross-country with her. So I started to run and soon started to become a faster runner.

The next thing I know its basketball. My other friend Addie also wanted me to play a sport with her so I decided to go out for basketball. I am worse at basketball then I am volleyball or cross-country. So I was pretty bad.

After that it I’m playing soccer. I have never been the type of girl that goes out for sports. But I decided to play anyways. In the beginning it was the worst thing in the world. But now playing these sports feels like the best action I have done all year.

Being in all these sports made me realize that even though I’m not the best at it, it’s still really fun and helps you lose weight. No one will judge you if you’re bad and if you have a good play, all your friends will support you and tell you that you did a great job. Later on in life this help you feel a little more confident and like you were able to achieve something even if you’re not good at it. It also teaches you that even if you are bad at something you should still keep going and try it out.

Trying new things might not always be the best thing in the world, but sometimes in the end if you have fun with it, something good will come out of it. I became great friends with some of the girls in my class and I can now run faster! Even though I hate sports and don’t like to run, I realized that trying new things, even if you don’t want to, is sometimes for the better. For me, playing in these sports wasn’t about winning our losing; it was about having fun and being with my friends.

I also realized that even of your friends know that you are bad at something, they will still tell you that you are doing a great job and maybe next time try to catch the ball instead of letting it hit your face. Friends will always be there for you even if you do suck.

Trying new things is a great way to help you figure out who you are and who you want to be.