Loss

Skylar - Lexington, Kentucky

Loss

Have you ever lost someone close to you? I have. It was during Christmas Break of 2007.

It was Saturday morning of December 27, 2007. I had just gotten out of bed and was on my way to the kitchen to make breakfast for me and my brother. I made pizza rolls for breakfast that morning. After I had set the timer for how long the pizza rolls had to cook, I went into the living room, sat down, and watched TV. After several minutes of watching TV, I heard the timer for the food go off. I took the food out of the oven and turned the oven off. I served breakfast to my brother and me. After I had ate breakfast I went back to my room to get ready to start the day on the way to my room I stopped to hug my German Shepherd dog Samson. I loved that dog with all my heart. After I gave him a hug I went into my room and got ready for the day. But as soon as I stepped into my room my mother called me into my brother’s room. When I got there she told me to sit down on my brother’s bed and told me that she had just got off the phone with Samson’s vet. She told me that we had to put him down today. As soon as she finished her sentence, my eyes started to tear up and I didn’t want to let him go. Not now. Not yet. I hugged my mother and started to cry. She told me that it was the right thing to do. I calmed down after a while and went to go get ready for now a horrible day. After a few hours have past, I saw my mother and father getting Sam ready to go to the vet. So they put his leash on and took him to the car. But before he was taken into the car I took him aside and said that I loved him and I said my last and final goodbye.

To this day I still wonder if my family and I did the right thing.