History is not like science

erick - faribault, Minnesota
Themes: legacy, question

I believe…

Most of the people think that history is true, but I believe history may be wrong. In school, I am learning the history of certain events and people. But, as I learn, I always have questions in my mind. How can historians know exact exactly what happened? How can they explain what kind of people lived in the past? I don’t think they have an answer.

History is not always reliable. History is the guesses of historians. They collect a lot of data, and create theories to explain this data. But that is just their interpretation. They put their theories in books and we believe them as fact. Therefore, a history book is not a book of real facts. It includes many guesses, too.

For example, the ancient age did not have any letters or pictures. The only thing that remains is some drawings on stone. But, historiographers guessed at their meanings and felt certain of their theories. How can they explain some other, ancient people’s drawings so perfectly? I believe that is impossible. We are told that a figure like this: t is representing a person, but it can be an alien or others. Historians guessed this was a person and presented their guess as the true meaning of that drawing.

Also, we know the assassination of John K. Kennedy. According to the history books, the assassin was Lee Harvey Oswald, but we do not know that he was the only person who shot Kennedy. Of course, the Warren Commission supported Oswald as the lone assassin, but they could have easily been wrong. Oswald died before confessing so we do not know the exact facts, yet. We may never find out for sure.

History is conjecture, not science. However, most of the books show history as a fact. History books have to show us the real truth. If historians guessed it, they have to tell us about that. We are free to know the truth.