I believe

Xiaolin - Faribault, Minnesota

I believe you as you believe me. I believe in you. I know you would be back my friend.

Once in the summer holiday after 9th grade, I went out to play with a classmate named Chen. Chen was a good student. He was so smart that he was enrolled in one of the most famous school in Suzhou. But he was not an active person. He used to stay at home and study.

One day, when we could not decide what to do, I suggested playing some arcade games. Chen agreed and followed me. There were lots of people playing the racing car games. We found two seats and began to play the Initial D. You know Initial D. It’s a kind of racing car game. It’s a good game that made us crazy playing it. We felt very happy that time. But later, we got in trouble.

“Hey, man!” Someone was trying to talk to me. A stranger.

“What?” I really don’t know that guy.

“We want you to do something for us. Please come with me.”

“Wait! I don’t know you. I don’t know what’s happening.”

“Well, we lost a basketball in Suzhou University. We want you to find it.”

“Are you killing? Why should I help you? I don’t know where the basketball is.”

“Don’t ask again. Will you come or not?”

“What will happen if not?”

“You can leave now, but I can’t promise your safety.”

I looked around. I saw lots of strange guys were talking and looked at me from time to time. I suddenly made sense what they wanted to do.

Here came one more guy, looked like their boss. “Is that you?”

“My brother told me you stole my basketball.”

“That’s impossible.”

“Stop lying! You should pay for it.”

See, they wanted money. That’s the only thing they wanted.

“Can I just leave? You can ask others for the ball.” I was trying to escape.

“You know what, boy? You can go right now. But there is one thing I can not promise you. It’s your safety.” Said the boss.

I had not met this kind of condition before. I felt a little bit scared but I told myself to come down. I looked around. There were no police nearby. All the people here were students; some were even younger than me. It’s useless to shout for help and it may make the boss mad. When I was thinking what I should do, the boss asked, “What are you doing here?” The boss was not asking me, but my friend. He looked at me without a word.

“Do you know him?” The boss asked me.

Suddenly, I found out the way. “No. We don’t know each other.” Chen was looking at me and I tried to let him know without saying.

“Get away, boy.” The boss shouted to Chen. Chen moved.

Time was going on. They still trying to asked me to take out my money. Of course, I won’t do that. I was saying anything else for waiting my friend, waiting for the police. They asked me to move to some other place. I knew I should stay there. I would not get hurt since it was a public place.

But later, the boss got mad. “It’s long time. Don’t try to test my patience. Come with me!” Sounded like I must move this time. I wonder if the police can not find me. But I have no idea.

I was force to follow them into an emergency exit. There were about twenty people here looked like they were in the same team.

“Don’t stay here. Find some more people and take them here.” The boss became mad. They all leave except two guys. They hold the entrances. One on the upstairs, the other on the downstairs.

The boss sat down and talked.

“How much money do you have?”

“Not much. About ten dollars.”

“Give me your wallet.”

I passed my wallet to him. I knew I must do what he asked now. I handed it out. The boss checked and felt disappoint. I told the truth. I only took 10 dollars with me. As soon as the boss put the money into his pocket, the door upstairs was crashed opened. The police came. My friend Chen brought them here.

At last, the boss ran away. But two guys who hold the door were caught. There were imprisoning for two days as punishments.

Everything was fine after all. When I asked Chen why he is back at last, he said, “You believe in me. I don’t want disappoint you.”

Yes, exactly. I believe you as you believe me, which can explain everything.