Not Wrong, Just Different

Florence - Longmont, Colorado

Not Wrong, Just Different

I am sure that my meaning of life and my beliefs will change as I get older and as I change myself. But right now, I think that people should get out and travel, learn as many languages and eat as many different foods as possible. I believe that experiencing other cultures can help you understand your own.

My philosophy of life has evolved as a result of a personal goal. Since I was a child, I always wanted to experience the world and to study languages and cultures and their histories. This goal was fulfilled when I was 16 as I sat in the US Embassy Office in Berne and received my visa to live and study in the United States for a year.

One night at dinner, I was trying to convince my host mom, that the way she holds the silverware is wrong . But then I remembered how someone told me, that things aren’t wrong, they’re just different. And the more I discover people are different and do things differently, the more I understand that people are the same. My host mom holds her silverware in the wrong hand and eats different foods than my natural mom, but they both insist on using manners at the table. Teachers in Fribourg don’t require homework and teachers at Silver Creek do, but both expect that the students will learn the material.

In Europe we all have our opinions and arguments on the United States. So does America about Europe, and now that I have lived in both cultures, I see both sides, which helps me not only to understand how Americans live and believe, but also to understand my own country, and to see things from another angle.

I think the citizens of this earth would be able to get along if they could only realize that cultural differences do not make the other ways wrong, they only make them different. So more people should live in other cultures, at least for a while, there might be more peace if they would understand how other cultures work.