Certainly Certain

Nicholas - Holland, Pennsylvania
Themes: question

Certainly Uncertain

I believe the only thing certain, is that nothing is really certain. One may question my belief and acknowledge the oxymoron between certainty and uncertainty. The truth is my very own belief may not even be certain. Yes, I am saying I am certain about not being certain towards my belief that “the only thing certain, is that nothing is really certain.” Whether it’s a question of free will verse determinism, life against death, or any other dilemma any individual faces.

My idea is an ongoing conundrum, as infinite and definitive as time itself. However, I feel all of our souls thirst for knowledge of an ultimate or absolute truth of some thing or sort. This explains why our species has mastered many of the earth’s mysteries. Specifically in science with many inventions and more than likely more to come. Yet, even though we’ve discovered the “how things work the way they do,” we have never uncovered the “why they work the way they do?” Thus, making us essentially just as primitive as our ancestors in history. Not that I believe in God, which I don’t, I don’t consider myself an atheist either. If anything I hover somewhere in between, in an agnostic place. I’m just claiming that despite any and every advancement made by mankind, we are all still stuck in these lines drawn around us all on earth and its meaning of existence.

Is its meaning, meaningless? Or is this reality, not really a reality at all? The absolute truth is there is no absolute truth, at least within our own capable understandings. It was through several of these thought processes that I reached my very own conclusion. This I believe to be the only thing certain, is that nothing is really certain. Will it imprison you or will it free you?