My 7th Grade Obsession

Taylor - Minnetonka, Minnesota

Sobbing in my room, tearing up pictures of him, feeling the tears running down my face, and tasting the salt in my mouth brings me back even now to that very night two years ago. But before I get there I have to tell my whole stereo-typical love story about how I got in that position. I know in every girl’s life, sometime or another, they get completely drenched in the obsession about a certain boy. It normally starts in 5th grade, well at least for me it did, but in 7th grade was when I fell apart over a boy.

This boy I was completely in love with, at least I thought at the time I was. He was the man of my dreams. Our families were best friends, and so we knew each other really well. In wasn’t until coming back from a trip we had with his family, when we both got “serious,” whatever serious meant to a 7th grader. He asked me out, on instant message. I thought it was cute, at the time. That night started the whole problem. We liked each other so much. I became obsessed with him. He was my life. We found every possible second we could talk to each other, whether it was on IM, email, the phone, notes, in person, you name it. I didn’t realize how much this was getting out of hand until I noticed I just church because he went to the same church. Through all this, my relationship with my sister went downhill. I was getting in constant fights with my parents because of the time I spent talking to him. I rushed through dinner, just to get back on IM. I was getting so consumed that I was even struggling at school, because I only thought about him. Then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere things got bad between us. We fought and fought. Then, one dreadful night, it was done. It hit me so hard that I felt numb. We were no more. It was all over. There I was, hating myself. It was then when I realized without that boy, I had no one, because I had replaced my family with him and my friends with him. Excepting my mom, who I fought the most with, to be still mad at me, I found that she was right there beside me all along, helping me through my first real break up.

After experiencing this, realizing I gave my life to this one boy, my family was still there for me even though I treated them so badly. I believe that when you focus on something so much that it consumes your life, an adjust must happen. For me it was painful, but worth it. I have now won’t allow myself to become so absorbed with something only temporary, that I lose sight of what’s really important.