Importance of Mistakes

Keisuke - Lexington, Kentucky

Everybody makes mistakes as we go through life. The important part is what we do afterwards. Instead of blaming others or complaining about our own mistakes, we should learn something from them so that we will never put ourselves in the same situation ever again.

I have a really close friend named Akari who I have known for almost my entire life. Since both my parents and her parents lived in the same apartment complex, we grew up and spent a lot of time together. Even though we did not talk to each other for a long time because I had moved out of the apartment when I was five, I met her again few years after I came to the United States. Ever since then, we are extremely close friends. We would support each other when we have a problem. In addition, she prepares me lunch every week for our Japanese Saturday-school. She is like a sister who takes care of me. However, few years ago I made a huge mistake that almost caused me to lose this great friendship.

The day started when Akari called me if I wanted to hang out with her at the mall. Because I did not have anything to do on that day, I gladly accepted the offer and went to the mall. I walked around with her as she went into different stores to see new clothes. When she got done shopping, we went to the food court to sit and talk. The conversation was going well until I accidentally made a joke about her weight. This was devastating to her because she has a complex about her weight. She did not look upset when we were at the mall, but I realized that I had made a huge mistake when her mother called me telling that she is extremely upset with me.

As I think about her and my action, I realized that I did not use any delicacy toward her. Because we are such a close friend, I had assumed that anything that I say would be acceptable. I learned that the words that I speak have a weight to them. I could hurt and help people tremendously just by speaking. When I thought about not having her as a great friend, I realized the importance of her being in my life. She was the one who would always talk to me when I would get yelled at by my parents. When I got into a conflict with one of my friends, she was the one who would tell me to calm down. After realizing her importance, I decided to apologize to her by talking to her in a right way with delicacy. Fortunately, she was nice enough to forgive me, but I now watch what I say to her so that I would not risk myself to lose this great friendship.

I believe that people make mistakes for a reason. Mistakes are the opportunities to notice bad characteristics about ourselves. Therefore, we must learn from our mistakes and change our imperfect characteristics so that we do not make the same mistakes ever again