Balance

Joseph - USA

Balance

Ever since I first came to college, I have been told to study, study, then study some more. Then I am encouraged to get involved in some sort of club. These two ideas are very important for anyone, keeping the two in check can be hard. I believe that finding a balance between social and academic life is hard but leaves you with a feeling of control.

Life is always full of obstacles and at times I need to make a sacrifice so things are easier. In school, I often feel like I need to sacrifice fun for studying. If I gave up studying for fun, then I would not make it past the first quarter. When there is a balance between the two, life is easier and those sacrifices seem so unnecessary. Things become manageable and I feel like I am in control of what happens around me. As time goes by, something will slip and life becomes chaotic again.

Over time, I have developed a routine to at least attempting to find a balance. It always starts with cleaning my room. Something about an organized living space just seems like a step in the right direction. Next would be to check my academic schedule. I write due dates for projects and test on a calendar. The next step, and probably the hardest, is to call people. This one may seem weird, but when you need to call people to apologize or to try and reconnect, it can be hard. Finally, try something new. It can be something small, like going to some school event, or maybe join a club or a study group. Trying something different is important because if I kept trying to do the same thing and except different results, that would mean that I had gone insane.

It is unfortunate I do this to myself. I tend to like things to be spontaneous and random so life can get chaotic. So feeling a balance is rare and short lived. In those short moments of balance, are some truly sweet times. Everything feels easy and enjoyable. Even when something catches me off guard, like getting a bad grade or running into an ex, I can deal with it rationally instead of instantly going into panic mode.

Finding a Balance maybe hard but for all the trouble, it is worth it. I will admit it, others are better than me at keeping the balance but that won’t stop me from trying. I like the way I life my life. Dealing with all the drama life has to offer is easy when you have everything balanced.