Looking at the Glass as Half Full

Erik - Excelsior, Minnesota
Themes: purpose, work

Do you ever feel like there is nothing more that can go wrong? Or how about a day where nothing goes your way? Well, I believe that everything happens for a reason. Every time something goes wrong, I believe there was a reason that it happened. I like to think this when things are going wrong and I need a little inspiration. Many people look on the bad side of things when everything is going wrong and look at the glass as half empty. I like to look at the positives and look at the glass as half full. If something bad happens, there will always be a something good that happens in the future to even it out.

I have had many experiences where something went wrong and it turned out to be for the better. When I was in 6th grade I was a first year peewee hockey player. I had been on the Squirt “A” team the year before that as a second year squirt. So, as a first year Peewee, I wanted to make the Peewee “A” team. I had never made the “A” team as a first year before, and I thought that I had a pretty good shot at it. I thought I had a pretty good tryout. I worked hard and performed pretty well. I was definitely a bubble player to make the team. On a Monday morning the teams were posted on the website. I heard my mom yelling up to me to check the website. I grabbed the mouse and clicked on the postings. My number was nowhere to be found under the “A” team. I was so close I could taste it. I had made the “B1” team. I was very disappointed. I had some friends that were in my grade and on the “A” team and I wasn’t. But, I got over it and had a great season. Our team posted a record of 46-7-3, the second best in the state. We were ranked number 1 in the state for about half the year. We made it to the State Tournament in Buffalo and got all the way to the State Championship game and lost to get 2nd place in the whole state. I led our team with 42 goals that season and had one of the most fun years of my life. The “A” team had a pretty bad year and was barely over .500 so I definitely had more fun than I would have on the “A” team.

I went on to make the Peewee “A” team the next year and we made it to the regional tournament and had a great year. In 8th grade, I was back in the same position. I was one of the younger kids as a first year again and wanted to make that Bantam “A” team. I worked hard over the summer and had the best tryout of my life. I knew I belonged on the team and I made it. I was one of 5 first years on the team and the rest were 9th graders. We posted a record of 33-11-4 and were as high as fifth in the state in the rankings. I was first or second on the team in scoring with 32 goals and 40 assists. I worked super hard over the next summer because I knew I had a shot at Varsity. I had another great tryout and reached my greatest goal ever to be on the Varsity team as a freshman.

So, when I was in 6th grade and I didn’t make the team I wanted. So what? Big deal. I did not give up and I just kept getting better and better. I have passed up almost every single kid that beat me out for a spot on that Peewee “A” team. There was a reason I didn’t make that team. But, it all evened out in the end with all of the good things happening and hopefully more to come. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason.